Thursday, August 21, 2014

Don't Know Much About...

I know there is a news story involving cops and Ferguson. That's it. Yes, I've managed to not pay attention to this story, partly by intent.

What I have seen is a lot of hash slinging.

I can make some generalizations by what I've read.

I do have respect in general for cops, that is, real cops. What is a real cop? To me, someone who willingly takes on the job fully understanding what it means and despite the potential dangers, is willing to take those risks to uphold the laws of our land, the safety of our citizens and respect the badge.

I have no business speaking about what it must feel like to be a cop, especially on the other side of something gone bad and when weapons and guns are involved.

I would thin that unless the danger perceived leaves no other choice, the decision to pull a trigger for a cop is one of the things that is hardest, takes the most training and despite years of experience and/or training, is still a decision so complex that most humans couldn't even begin to understand or unravel what it means. Yet, that decision has to be made in the blink of an eye.

Is there such a thing as a bad copy? Of course, every good copy would admit to that, I think.
Is it possible that the decision to shoot, and where to shoot has been made incorrectly on purpose? I hate to think so, but if there are bad cops, then I would say it has had to have happened.

That said, I know nothing of this case. I would like to believe that the decisions were made were done so in the honor and respect that a good, honest cop would make that decision.

What I would really like to happen is for all the trash talk to stop, especially by people who weren't there, even all the cops that are commenting - if you were not there, you don't know and your input (that is everyone's input) only makes the matter uglier.

In the end, there's a dead kid; that is sad even if it was warranted that he ended up dead. In the end, we can't save that life but it doesn't have to have been lost for nothing. I hope that when the dust settles, if all the idiots and the press will let it settle, that we can find out what really happened and learn something from it. If not, then society has failed.

No comments: