Friday, August 29, 2014

Got Milk?

I saw this on a "Friday Question" Blog.

What kind of milk did you drink, growing up? And now? 

I never drank milk growing up...except of course, at my Aunt Minnie's house (I'll get into that in a minute).

I know, what kind of horrible household did I grow up in right? Well, It was more of a pseudo-American household (at best). My father was an immigrant from Italy and while my mother was born and raised here in the U.S., it was during the great depression, she was from a poor uneducated family, and the whole milk thing just didn't exist for her.

I saw all of my friends drinking milk, sometimes right out of the carton. They all thought I was crazy for not liking milk. I wanted to like drinking milk just to fit in, I tried, but I just couldn't do it.

My aunt Minnie, who was actually my dad's aunt, was one of those relatives who pretty much struck the fear of god into me. I'd be at the table, and with no words spoken, she would put cookies in front of me, then a big glass of ice cold milk. There was an understanding, cemented by what most would see as a loving aunt smiling at her great nephew but what I saw was a look that read, "if you think there is any chance you can eat cookies in my house without drinking milk, really bad things can happen to you" (I know, that was a bit over dramatic but I think you catch the real drift).

I would take small sips. One day, mys cousin was there and I noticed, mostly by the goofiest grin of joy ever, how much joy the idea of dunking his cookies in the milk brought him. Once I tried that for myself, I was sold. I quickly learned how much fun it was to see how much milk a cookie could absorb before losing it's ability to stay together. I would try to determine the number of seconds for each different type of cookie offered.

It was the fear that I felt from Aunt Minnie putting that glass of milk in front of me that led me to my discovery of the joy of cookie dunking and while I don't really do that anymore, it was, at that time (I was pretty young), life changing.

No comments: