Monday, August 11, 2014

I Stand Corrected

Yesterday, I challenged that the ice bucket challenge was not being taken seriously and I questioned how much awareness was being raised. I stand behind the fact that I've seen at least 100 of these videos and only until today, when a friend of mine read my post and agreed before making her video, brilliantly, that there was too little effort in using the forum to actually promote the cause as opposed to the novelty.

While I firmly stand behind that, the numbers, which I just saw reported direct from the source, indicate that indeed, there is awareness and there is a positive effect.

From a report on WCVB and verified by me via email with the ALSA, "has raised $1.35 million nationally from July 20 to Aug. 11. During the same period in 2013, just more than $22,000 was raised. In Massachusetts, $201,563 was raised this year, compared to $20,977 last year."

Those numbers are very real. I am still not going to pour a bucket of ice water over my head, but as I've said earlier today in a FB thread on this topic, I can admit when I am wrong and this is something I am happy to be wrong about, apparently there is an effect on awareness and fundraising despite the lack of information in the videos.

I guess the whole viral thing can be used for good.

I should also credit my friend Jane, who pointed out an article from the Boston Herald that implied I might be wrong on the awareness/fundraising thing. I spent more time responding to that by defending my more specific issue of there not being any real publicity in these videos but had Jane not brought this up and questioned me on it, i wouldn't have gotten the call that got me to watch thew news story tonight and follow up on it.

No comments: