Tuesday, October 21, 2014

In My Ears IX

Here's what I've been listening to of late:

Jake Owen - Easy Does It
Jake Owen - Barefoot Blue Jean Night
Jake Owen - Days of Gold
I've heard Jake Owen on radio, seen him on TV a few times but never really listened to his records, so it was time.  It was all prompted after hearing him perform a single from his latest album (Days of Gold) called "What We Ain't Got" (song links to the exact performance I saw).

U2 - Songs of Innocence
This is the "controversial" newest U2 record that magically appeared in everyone's iTunes library. I was happy to receive it for free. First listen was too casual, not sure what I heard, second listen made me appreciate it. For me, it sounds like a U2 record, and I think it's a good one.

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star
This is a very different kind of record, and when Todd Rundgren is the artist, different means different! Released three weeks before Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon", this record shifts from experimental through pure pop and pays homage to a number of Rundgren's influences, most notably, The Beatles. Fun to listen to after so many years.

Mark Knopfler - Kill to Get Crimson
There are a few artists, Knopfler being one of them, where I am slowly revisiting their catalog. Knopfler's music ages as gracefully as any and it's always nice to hear.

Laura Cantrell - When the Roses Bloom Again
A Nashville darling - authentic!

Bob Mould - Body of Song
Another of the artists I've been revisiting - inspired after hearing his interview with Marc Maron.

Against Me! - Searching for a Former Clarity
Against Me! - New Wave
Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Against Me! - White Crosses
Though they have been recording and releasing music since 1997, I have only heard of them recently from hearing something on NPR's All Songs Considered. Wow! What I've missed all of these years - just great modern day American punk rock.

No comments: