Monday, December 29, 2014

33 Questions about 2014

This Meme seems to be an annual tradition, I always forgot how hard it is!

1. What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
Visited Texas; Austin to be precise.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Not a resolution type of guy – did carry on with the pay it forward thing as I did last year, to a little lesser degree though. I also read a lot more than last year though that dropped of significantly in the second half of the year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No (I don’t think so).

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Al Antino, Phil Mineo and my cousin Danny.

5. What countries did you visit?
Remained in the U.S.A. all year.

6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
This continues to be a very difficult question for me. It seems every year I do these questions I stop here and ponder and wonder how long I should ponder before just moving on. So for now, I will move on and if something comes to me, I will add it later.

7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Can’t say there was any one day that comes to mind. Back in March, I broke my consecutive days of exercise streak at 1250 because I realized that I was focusing more on the streak than the purpose of the exercise and as a result, was in a lot of pain. Nine months later, I am still trying to find the right balance of getting back into regular exercise.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being recognized for my efforts in eLearning with a “Course of Distinction” award – this really means a lot to me.

9. What was your biggest failure?
(I just got a big kick in the ass from hindsight as I try to figure out how to answer this.) Seriously, I think I spent ample time thinking about this – not sure if it would be appropriate to post here. I will make a general statement though, I definitely didn't think through every single decision I made as carefully as I should have.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No – thank God!

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Discovered Arm & Hammer Clump & Seal cat litter – great stuff!
Also happy with my cell phone upgrade, an HTC One M8.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My niece Lauren. Lauren graduated from college – I am so proud of her hard work, not just in school but she’s been so dedicated to charity work, especially cancer charities for kids. I am so proud of the woman she has become.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Not mentioning names here.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Kitchen remodel – done. Mortgage got a hefty chunk as well. A little more in plumbing that I’d have liked as well.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The local farmer’s market. I spent a lot of time supporting the local market this year and it really was wonderful, especially “The Carve”, a fantastic food vendor run by two great folks.

16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
Vampire Weekend – Unbelievers   This song just rang through my head so much and I love it as much today as I did when I first heard it.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier
ii. thinner or fatter? About the same, but definitely less fit.
iii. richer or poorer? About the same.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Complaining to contractors who made my life miserable for a third of the year.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With friends, and some time with my daughter.

21. How many one-night stands?
None.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
Nothing that was over the top great but “Brooklyn 99” was a stand-out for the comedy/sitcom genre.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No.

24. What was the best book you read?
Mortal Fear by Greg Iles                               Absolutely amazing!!!

25. What did you want and get?
Despite a lot of agony, grief and complication, my kitchen remodel is complete – I wanted that for some time and I was able to realize it this year.

26. What was your favorite film of this year?
I didn't see many movies at all and even less of this year’s releases. That said, I loved “20 feet from Stardom”, a documentary about background singers.

27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was visiting Austin, Texas for my birthday. This was a big one, the big 5-0!

28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less political hoo-ha. It’s just too fucking much!

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
As always, simple.

30. What kept you sane?
My daughter and just trying to maintain perspective.

31. What political issue stirred you the most?
All of them.

32. Who did you miss?
I missed my friend Tori more than anyone. I am so happy and proud of her for finishing her studies and graduating from nursing school. Help me wish her luck as she prepares to take the boards and get licensed! Tori is going to make a fantastic nurse.

33. Who was the best new person you met?
I don’t recall if it was during this year or last that Meghan and Jimmy joined The Road Dawgs, but they have changed that band for the better; the current lineup is just so incredibly fantastic and Meghan and Jimmy are really cool people!
That’s about the size of it.

And now for a current picture of me:


No comments: