Friday, January 30, 2015

In My Ears 2015 Vol. 1

This is my first "In My Ears" post of 2015, so let's take a look at some of the music I've been listening to:

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers-Hypnotic Eye
Been a fan for a long time, love the record.

Boy George-This is What I Do
I am a fan of Boy George, since way back in the early days of Culture Club. While there are a few enjoyable moments on this record, overall, it didn't work for me - the songs are just not strong enough in my opinion.

Sufjan Stevens- Sufjan Stevens Invites You to Come on Feel the Illinoise
LOVE this record! Very interesting spectrum of sounds, very unique.

Miles Davis-Kind of Blue
Born 50 years ago, just like me, I don't know how I missed this record all my life but now that I've got it, I'll listen to it for the rest of my life...stunning.

Prince-Art Official Pop
Wasn't sure this was possible, but I gotta put this one on the klunker list. I consider Prince a musical genius and one of the best guitar players that ever lived but I don't ever need to listen to the stuff on this record again.

Dawn Landes-Bluebird
Singer-songwriter-folky-just beautiful and entrancing music. I must find her other records.

Liam Bailey-Definitely Now
Moments had me saying, "Yes" and others "Who is he trying to be". In the end, I'm going to take a pass on this one for now.

Colbie Caillat-Gypsy Heart
Every time I listen to her it feels good, so I will keep listening.

Trisha Yearwood-Prize Fighter:Hit After Hit
Six new songs and re-recordings of some of her biggest hits. something to sell in preparation for her tour with hubby Garth (now in progress - as you all know, I saw the show here in Boston). I was on the Trisha Bandwagon when she debuted on the country scene more than two decades ago - I am still a fan.

Joe Bonamassa-Different Shades of Blue
Didn't know who he was, though when I saw the name on the CD at the library, I thought it was someone else. Took me a few listens and a little reading on the Internet...going to listen more.

Weezer-Everything Will Be Alright in the End
Solid record.

St. Paul & The Broken Bones
Didn't work for me.

John Mellencamp-Plain Spoken
Love it. Love it more after second listen. Been a fan for years - very different from the Mellencamp of pop hits fame - wonderful sense of songwriting and storytelling.

Taylor Swift-1989
Someone just recently mentioned how they were embarrassed that they liked Taylor Swift. I told them life is to short to apologize for the things that make you happy. I will not apologize for enjoying Taylor Swift's music.

No comments: