Sunday, January 04, 2015

Pot Luck and Manhattan Special

I did the whole pot luck thing today, it was Sarah and Mike's annual twelfth night (billed as the Almost Twelfth Night) shindig.

For my dish, I made a sausage and herb stuffing. I first made this stuffing for Thanksgiving, from an Ina Garten (aka Barefoot Contessa) recipe and it was fabulous. My friend Mike is a big fan of stuffing and I wanted to eat it again, so I made it. I'll post the recipe on this blog later for any of you that wish to give it a whirl, it's not difficult to make and it really is super delicious.

Back in the summer, Sarah's niece graduated high school. At that party, I was chatting with her cousin Jeff and others and had mentioned this wonderful gem from my childhood, a regional beverage called "Manhattan Special", which is an espresso coffee soda, one whose roots date back to 1895! A really great treat is a Manhattan Special Ice Cream Float. Jeff was intrigued and said way back then, "do you think you can bring some to Sarah's for the next twelfth night party?"

I kept my end of the bargain, I need to send thanks to my sister Rose who came through big time by mailing me some (that's a whole other post, or could be, but suffice it to say, Rose came through for me - I am so grateful!). Back to less horrible grammar (hopefully) and the story at hand...

In addition to the stuffing, I brought a few bottles of Manhattan Special and some French vanilla ice cream and made a bunch of floats for the guests - they all loved it. Jeff liked it so much, he wanted to take home the empty bottle but I had a nice surprise for him, I brought an extra full bottle for him to take home.

It was a lot of fun to share this piece of my regional heritage with some friends!

No comments: