Friday, February 27, 2015

12 Flawless Albums that only have Great Songs: The Commentary - Part 2

Picking up where I left off:

Jar of Flies - Alice in Chains
There is a lot of good about this record, technically an EP, but I would not place it on a list where the claim is that all is great within.

Lateralus - Tool
I can't say this doesn't belong here, just that it doesn't belong here if I were creating this list. I've never been a big Tool fan and in attempting to listen back to this record, nothing about it really moved me at all, I couldn't make it through an entire song.

Siamese Dream - The Smashing Pumpkins
When The Smashing Pumpkins first hit the scene, I wasn't right on board, it took a few years for me to warm up to them. While for me, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is my fave, this is a great record and has aged so very well.

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
If anyone reading this has any question as to whether or not this record belongs on such a list, please, listen to it; a timeless classic.

Boston - Boston
One of three vinyl records released in the 1970's that I've played enough times to actually wear out the vinyl and need to replace; I'm guessing you can figure out what that means in terms of this list.

OK Computer - Radiohead
I like Radiohead, but I am not one of their die hards - and while it wouldn't be inaccurate to say that I could take or leave them, most people would perceive that as a mostly negative statement, and I don't mean it to be.

Graceland - Paul Simon
I think Graceland is one of the most important records ever made, it stretches the boundaries of music through cultural discovery and has a social context. I have always loved this record and while I haven't listened to it in its entirety in a couple of years, I plan to do so soon.


Okay then, that covers this list from wherever I got it. I hope that seeing it at least stimulating some thinking, as it did with me. Of course, feel free to comment or drop me a line and offer some of your own commentary,

No comments: