Wednesday, February 25, 2015

12 Flawless Albums that only have Great Songs: The Commentary - Part 1

Time for some commentary on "12 Flawless Albums that only have Great Songs":

Kind of Blue - Mile Davis
This record has been around a few years longer than me, and somehow, it has eluded me until I saw it on this list and had to give it a listen. I was able to get a copy from the library and almost immediately was mesmerized at its brilliance. For certain, there is not a bad moment on this record.

Sufjan Stevens Invites You to Come on Feel the Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens
While familiar with Sufjan Steven, I wasn not familiar with this record but have listened to it several times since learning of it from this list and i agree again, this is a beautiful record and every track is wonderful.

Deloused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta
Yet another record I was not familiar with and decided to listen to yesterday. After getting through about half of the album, I had to stop it, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Revolver - The Beatles
Hard to find fault here, Revolver is spectacular. I must say that for me though, if I personally am only putting one Beatles record on this list, it's gotta be Rubber Soul.

2001 - Dr. Dre
Despite the incessant foul language and excessive misogyny, there is some credence to this record in the landscape of hip-hop music, it is hard to listen to though because it is just too sexist. That said, I'm torn as to whether or not it deserves to be on this list - I might replace it with Paul's Boutique by the Beastie Boys or Walking with A Panther by LL Cool J, perhaps Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood by DMX.

Will get to the rest of the list in another post.

No comments: