Sunday, March 15, 2015

In My Ears 2015 Vol. 5

Here's what I've listened to since last we had an "In My ears' post. A few of them I spoke of at the end of February as part of the "12 Flawless Albums..." posts; I won't say more about those ones here but you can refer to those posts.

Dr. Dre - 2001

Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
I was in a record store in Cambridge with my kid and she bought two used CD's that we listened to in the car, this was one of them; this debut by the Foo Fighters sounds as fresh and fantastic as it did when it was released.

The Pleasures of Merely Circulating - The Pleasures of Merely Circulating
In their debut release, this Texas based band crosses the lines between genres to record something clearly unique. I can't say it's a work of genius or anything like that but after a couple of listens, I like it more and more and it it certainly is refreshingly unique.

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

Beck, Bogert, & Appice - Beck, Bogert, & Appice
This was one of those "super group" things, released in the early 1973 and recognizable by their cover of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition", for me, this group of stellar musicians never quite adds up to the sum of its parts.

Various Artists - The Art of McCartney
I think people are either going to enjoy this collection of McCartney tributes/covers or mock it. For the most part, I think it's a lot of fun and a really nice tribute with some solid performances.

Blake Shelton - Bringing Back the Sunshine
This guy makes solid records and is just so darn likable.

Ed Kowalczyk - In Concert: Sydney 2014
Former "Live" front man performs Live's "Throwing Copper" in its entirety to mark the 20th anniversary of its release (and then of course, a few more songs for good measure).

AC/DC - Rock or Bust
A brand new record from these boys and I have to say, surprisingly fantastic, I can't for the life of me figure out how Brian Johnson hasn't had an aneurysm, but I am so glad he hasn't...I really like this record a lot.

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways
The latest from the Foo's and again, just killer tunes from a killer band.

Lenny Kravitz - Strut
New material, good record!

The Nylons - One Size Fits All
I had this on vinyl when it was released in the early 1980's. Often referred to as an "a capella' group, I think it is more accurate to refer to them as a vocal ensemble because they do use rhythm machines and some (though very little) musical accompaniment. That said, I've always loved them and listening back to this record that I haven't listened to quite a while was lots of fun.

Visqueen - King Me
Just love me some Rachel Flotard.

No comments: