Sunday, March 29, 2015

In My Ears 2015 Vol. 6

Here is the latest installment that includes what I've been listening to since the last installment.

The Bottle Rockets - Lean Forward
The Bottle Rockets - Zoysia
One of those bands that somehow passed me by. I never heard of them, until I saw them live opening for Marshall Crenshaw, then serving as his backup band. Fantastic group with a 20 year history, hailing from St. Louis - check them out.

Steve Earle - I'll Never Get Out of this World Alive
Earle has bounced around the music business while in and out of getting in and out of trouble with drugs and doing time. His hard life adds an edge to his songs and style while his playing and songwriting take care of the rest. I've been a fan of Earle since his debut record Guitar Town and this record, released a few years back is a superb piece of art.

She & Him - Classics
Love me some Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward, but I was nervous at the title of this record. However, I am happy to say it is classy and beautiful and worth every minute.

Yellow Ostritch - Cosmos
Cloud Nothings - Here and Nowhere Else
Empires - Orphan
These selections came from listening to All Songs considered on NPR, All are cool - I've been turned on to so many cool things from that show.

Jules Shear - Horse of a Different Color
This is a retrospective that covers many different recording projects of Jules Shear, better known as the songwriter of a number of pop hits by the Bangles, Cyndi Lauper and others. This is a rather hard to find item, I paid almost twenty bucks for a used copy but really wanted to own this.

Beck - Morning Phase
Around the time the Grammy's aired I made comment about how Beck is hit or miss with me. Someone suggested I give this record a listen and I am glad I did, it really is a beautiful record.

Fall Out Boy - American Beauty/American Psycho
Coming off a really strong record last year, this one is pretty close. Some solid songs and really cool vocals.

The Warren Brothers - Barely Famous Hits
Aside from being good songwriters and performers, these guys clearly have a sense of humor. Victims of poor record company support - this was a way to fulfill a contractual obligation without going into the studio since they were left abandoned. There is a lot of good stuff here.

The Nylons - Fabric of Life (Vocal Percussion remix)
by Matt Cohen, [The "Vocal Percussion Remix" of The Nylons' Fabric of Life is everything I was hoping for from The Nylons and more. Not only have they finally gotten rid of the drum machine and replaced it with some vocal percussion on most of the tracks, but they've added a twist. They picked eight different vocal percussionists, one for each of the tracks featuring vocal percussion.]
by Me  I freaking love this record!

The next two selections were played on Vinyl today:

J. D. Souther - You're Only Lonely
Probably the only guy in the music business that Don Henley will drop his enormous ego over, Souther is a singer/songwriter and one of the most famous people in the music business that many of you may not ever have heard of. The title cut got some airplay in its day - solid record.

Howard Jones - Dream into Action
Just saw him live a week or two ago and wanted to hit up a vinyl store to have something of substance to try and get autographed but it just didn't happen. Rumbling through the scattered bins at Deja Vue Records with my buddy John yesterday, guess what I come across?

No comments: