Sunday, April 26, 2015

Nostalgia

Got into my old neighborhood a little early yesterday, so I opted for a stroll around.

This is the alley where I've had my ass kicked and my heart broken and also where I've had some of the best and most important times in my life. This alley helped make me who I am today, along with all the great people I met along the way. So glad that all these years later so many of us are still in touch.


I stopped by Thrifty beverage on Coyle Street for an adequate stash of "Manhattan Special" (and a 6 pack of Canfield's Diet Chocolate Fudge Soda)


Good Shepherd Elementary School, Class of 1978...not sure if I took more beatings from bullies our the nuns.


We didn't have a 7-11 in out neighborhood until the 1980's. I recall being 23 and meeting a girl that worked there, she was super pretty, but then I learned she was 16. While 7 years is not a drastic age difference at other points in life, it is at that age, so instead of asking her out, I wrote a blue song about her. Just last year, after decades of not hearing from or about her, she somehow found me and mentioned that she still has the lyrics to the song. This is the 7-11, it is still there:


Later in the day, I met up with one of my oldest friends, Kathleen. I first spent some time with her mom. Kathleen was the first girl I ever had a crush on, we've known each other for more than 40 years!




No comments: