Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Concert Summer

My daughter said to me this morning as I was driving her to school, "you are getting into the concert scene again, aren't you?" My reply, "I guess it's my summer vacation."

I love going to shows, back in the day, I went to lots and lots and lots (and lots) of them - sometime more than one in a day. Of course, it was affordable to do that back in the day, even working in a "crappy" job. Today, most average concert tickets are over $100, even little club shows can be over $50, so it's much harder to go to as many shows.

I've seen a number of shows this year so far and currently have tickets in hand for Kid/Rock & Foreigner, The Smashing Pumpkins with Marilyn Manson, The Rolling Stones, and I should be picking up tickets for Huey Lewis and the News after work today (if the Craigslist seller comes through). I am working on trying to get tickets for AC/DC and Foo Fighters - we shall see.

Some facts:
  • I've seen Bruce Springsteen 14 times
  • I've see Roy Orbison
  • I've seen The Kinks
  • The first time I ever drove on the highway was to go see Billy Joel at the Nassau Coliseum on a very rainy evening with a bunch of my friends in the car (I was scared to death the whole way)
  • The only concert I ever walked out on was Robert Plant. I know, seems odd but it was at a time in his career where he was in clear denial of the passage of time and played to an audience that wasn't his core fan base (happily, he's since recovered).
  • I blame Bryan Adams for taking some of my hearing, his was the loudest show I've ever been to (louder than Metallica, though there was one Metallica show in particular at Madison Square garden that may have technically been louder, but by that time, by hearing had been compromised from Bryan Adams)
UPDATE:
Huey Lewis & The News tickets are now in hand.

No comments: