Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Barenaked (and Exhausted)


Rounding out 5 concerts in 7 days, this stop on the #summerofconcerts tour took my daughter and me to the Boston Harbor to see Barenaked Ladies. You may recall my post of a few weeks ago where I talk about winning these tickets from a local radio station tent set up at a food truck festival.

Opening the show, former leader of the 80's band Men at Work, Colin Hay. Stripped down to just acoustic guitar (12 and 6 string varieties), Hay, along with his songs and stories dazzled the crowd with a tight 30 minute set. I have to say, I would go see him live again in a heartbeat, totally engaging performance - a real treat!

Next up was The Violent Femmes who I was looking forward to seeing. the Femmes opened their 45 minute set with the ever popular "Blister in the Sun" which was high energy and got the crowd going. For me though, the next 30 minutes were relatively lackluster until they finished strong with their last two songs, including "Add it Up". There was a good chunk of the crowd into it, so maybe it was just me.

Barenaked Ladies - just phenomenal! What a fun band to see live. As much as I enjoy their music, the banter, the shenanigans and just the overall vibe was so infectious and joyful throughout the entire show.

I did see the setlist published, so I will share it:

Get Back Up
The Old Apartment
Odds Are
Gonna Walk
Toe to Toe
Brian Wilson
Narrow Streets
Who Can It Be Now? (Men at Work cover) (with Colin Hay)
Here Before
Passcode
Light Up My Room
Did I Say That Out Loud?
Duct Tape Heart
Pinch Me (with Colin Hay)
Big Bang Theory Theme
One Week
If I Had $1,000,000
Barenaked Rap

Encore:
Drawing
Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin cover)

I had such a good time this past week, loved making memories with my kid, but I have to say that I am pretty beat up - the throat and voice are shot and I am pooped! I need to rest up for the next leg, which involves a long road trip.

No comments: