Wednesday, June 24, 2015

In My Ears 2015 Vol. 9

Here's the latest of the records that I have been filling my head with (via my ears):

Halesstorm - Halestorm
Halestorm - The Strange Case of...
I somehow missed them, heard of them a few months back on "That Metal Show" and hit up the library for some CD's. I really dig their style ans Lizzy's vocals and guitar lead a sound that somehow manages to hearken to the classic hard rock (and even heavy metal) sounds that are indelibly inked into our sonic brains but also captures the essence of modern day music across multiple genres.

Tom Waits - Small Change
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Tom Waits - Bad As Me
Been a fan of Waits for a long time, I just love him so much - such a unique recording artist. The little revisit to some of his material was triggered by listening to an interview on a podcast with some actor who quoted the last verse of the song "Take it With Me" form Mule variations. "Closing Time" is easily one of my favortie albums by anyone of all time.

Steel Magnolia - Steel Magnolia
With the resurgence of Meghan Linsey as the runner up on the most recent season of "The Voice", I decided to go back and listen to the record she made with her then music collaborator/love interest. A good solid country-pop record that respects the roots of the country genre while still holding pace with a contemporary mind set.

Jo Dee Messina - Delicious Surprise
I was chatting to someone about seeing Jo Dee Messina (a local girl, from Holliston, MA) in concert sometime back and I randomly selected one of her albums to revisit. I really like Messina's work, I just wish she would be releasing more of it.

Keb' Mo' - Keep it Simple
Keep it Simple is a good way to describe his music. A blues man with something really special and captivating; I saw him live when he opened for Bonnie Raitt about a decade or so ago and really fell in love with his style back them.

Genesis - From Genesis to Revelation
Genesis - A Trick of the Tail
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
A while back on this blog I mentioned that some guy on Craigslist was giving away a bunch of Genesis CD's...I was the one wo got them and have decided to revisit their catalog. Some of their older music was unfamiliar - the really older and "prog-er" stuff in particular. I was turned on to "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" record back when I worked at Titus Oaks in the eighties (about a decade after it's actual release) and I have always loved that record.



No comments: