Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Rush in Concert: R40


I've listened to the music of the band Rush for almost as longs as they've been releasing music but somehow, have never seen them in concert. Last night, at The Garden, in Boston, I made sure that I don't have to live with the possible regret of never seeing them live as the #summerofconcerts rocks on.

The tour is being referred to as R40, a celebration of 40+ years of Rush making music, recording and performing together. I think the concert was a wonderful retrospective of their career and with the addition of some really great video clips featuring cartoon versions of them (the nose on Geddy was priceless) and some live action comedic shorts (one featuring fellow Canadian Eugene Levy) - the show was really fantastic, super entertaining and a reminder (not that anyone should need one) of just how great Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neal Peart are as musicians.

I grabbed a setlist from the site setlist.fm:

Set 1:
The World Is...The World Is
 1. The Anarchist
 2.The Wreckers
 3. Headlong Flight (with "Drumbastica" mini drum solo)
 4. Far Cry
 5. The Main Monkey Business
 6. How It Is
 7. Animate
 8. Roll the Bones
 9. Between the Wheels
10.  Subdivisions

Set 2:
No Country for Old Hens
11. Tom Sawyer
12. The Camera Eye
13. The Spirit of Radio
14. Jacob's Ladder
15. Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres Part I: Prelude
16. Cygnus X-1 (The Voyage Part 1 & 3 with drum solo)
17. Closer to the Heart
18. Xanadu
19. 2112 Part I: Overture
20. 2112 Part II: The Temples of Syrinx
21. 2112 Part IV: Presentation
22. 2112 Part VII: Grand Finale

Encore:
Mel's Rock Pile starring Eugene Levy
23. Lakeside Park
24. Anthem
25. What You're Doing
26. Working Man (with 'Garden Road' snippet)
Exit Stage Left

I have to say, it has to be at least five years since I listened to an entire Rush record from start to finish, no good excuse, but a fact. I think soon I may need to revisit the catalog.

No comments: