Thursday, June 04, 2015

Practice Humanity

This was written by the amazing and talented Antoinette Thornes.

I'm not much for preaching on my soap box. But with all the transgender news of late, I feel I should chime in. I didn't always look the way I do. When I first started I was awkward, inexperienced, didn't know how to dress and was quite obvious. As a result I was threatened, harassed, beat up, had rocks thrown thru my windows, and had my car run off the road (with me in it)! Not to mention nearly all of my friends and family turning their backs on me. People fear what they don't understand and maybe it's human nature, but we tend to attack things we fear. So I do understand the knee-jerk reaction. But it certainly doesn't make it right.

As to the young trans girl who was pushed on the tracks yesterday, I don't know all the facts to make a definitive statement. But I can make an educated guess. Either this "erratic man" was checking her out and when he discovered she was trans, got angry to have "been fooled" or angry at himself to have been turned on and decided to lash out to ease his guilt. OR, he was just bat-shit crazy and we all know not to look a crazy person in the eyes! Hate crime or not, I feel for this young woman and am saddened to know this still goes on.

As to Caitlyn Jenner's coming out, I've notice a lot of people speaking up with opinions. Some of which are very nice but many are making fun or are downright hateful. To those of you laughing or spouting anger and hate, I say to you...you really have no idea what you're saying. And you have no idea what effect it has on someone like me! No matter when someone transitions, trust me they have been feeling this way their whole life! Circumstances in life do effect when and how someone transitions...and I'm sure there are many who never do go thru this ordeal! I wouldn't wish this experience on my worst enemy!!! But if you see someone doing this, you have to know this is something they HAD TO DO! Trust me, they would have much rather been born in the right body and had a normal life! Personally, I would have loved to have avoided all the drama I've been thru and just been born a girl. But that's not the way it happened. So if you find yourself laughing, making derogatory statements or lashing out in violence, I say to you "walk a mile in my stilettos" then tell me how you feel. One in 12,000 people have gender dysphoria. So with 7 billion people on the planet, you do the math!

The moral of this story...exercise a little empathy. And if you don't have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself. I don't know about your life's hardships...and you certainly don't know about mine. Prejudice is pre-judging. So before you judge me, ask me questions and get to know me. You will see that we are all living breathing people who laugh, love and have feelings just like you. You are human...please practice humanity!

No comments: