Friday, July 10, 2015

Def Leppard with Styx & Tesla - Part 3

I've seen Def Leppard a few times before, but not in the last couple of decades. I am so pleased to say that they have not lost a step, they are as good a live band today as they ever were; in fact, probably better.

The biggest surprise of the night for me was seeing the great guitar player Vivian Campbell. Not long ago, there were reports that his cancer had returned and that he would be off the tout. Campbell was introduced by Joe Elliot as "happy and healthy", his playing was on point for sure and he hid look terrific.

Everything about this show was everything you would want to see in a rock and roll show, it was as close to perfect as you can ask for, I really was blown away as to just how great they sounded after being out there for so many years.


Here's the setlist as reported on "setlist.fm":

  • Rock! Rock! (Till You Drop)
  • Animal
  • Let It Go
  • Foolin'
  • Promises
  • Love Bites
  • Armageddon It
  • Bass Solo
  • Rock On (David Essex cover)
  • Two Steps Behind (acoustic/Joe only)
  • Rocket
  • Bringin' on the Heartbreak
  • Switch 625
  • Hysteria
  • Let's Get Rocked
  • Pour Some Sugar on Me

Encore:

  • Rock of Ages
  • Photograph


When Joe Elliot came out for his solo acoustic performance of Two Steps Behind, he was playing the song "More than a Feeling" by Boston on the guitar; it was a pretty cool and subtle tribute that went over most people's heads until he siad, "what? don't ya reognize it? are you too young?" It was funny, as the overall crowd age was on the higher side.


My (in two weeks from now she'll be 17) 17 year old daughter was over the top thrilled, in fact, it was as joyful for me to watch how happy she was to be there than it was for me to see this show myself.

The folks to my left were a couple that were as old as me and they brought their two teenage daughters, it was pretty cool!

I think what was one of the more interesting aspects of this performance, and something to be said for Def Leppard's music, is that while for me, I go far back with them enough for there to be a sense of nostalgia, but the material and the performance was anything but nostalgic - it was fresh, current and spectacular - it was everything anyone could ever want at a rock show.

No comments: