Thursday, July 16, 2015

Inspired by Caitlyn

I just posted this on Facebook, but not all of you who read this are on my Facebook feed, so I am sharing it here to because it is important.

I just watched the entire segment with Caitlyn Jenner from the Espy's. I must say, it is one of the most moving moments I have ever seen on television in all of my life.

I have been recently very disappointed by people that I have known and loved, dear friends, and others who have posted memes and comments about Caitlyn Jenner, that seem to be offended that the words courage and bravery are being used to describe her and comparing her to soldiers, firefighters and the sort.

Nobody questions that what first responders and soldiers do is brave and courageous, but if you don't think those same words apply to Caitlyn Jenner then you have no idea what those words mean, you live in a box where you refuse to at least try to understand, or you are just choosing to be close minded - that is just the way it is.

I have been fortunate in my life to meet people from all walks of life, from many different countries and cultures, religious beliefs. I have friends and family who are white, black, gay, straight, trans, mentally ill, alcoholic, or any other label you can think of. Every one of them have the same things in common, they are all human beings, they are all God's children, they are all inhabitants of the same earth as all of you reading this.

You don't have to understand another human being before you choose to be a decent human being to them, before you choose to be kind instead of mean, before you choose to accept them for who they are.

Be kind people, I know sometimes the world is a bit challenging and some days, it's a bit harder to be nice than others. I myself fail sometimes, but I will never stop aspiring to be the best person I can be and I will never stop learning the true meaning of acceptance and understanding, and I will never stop advocating for human rights for all humans.

Peace and love to all of you.

No comments: