Friday, July 31, 2015

Smashing Pumpkins (and Not So Smashing Openers) Part 2 - The Smashing

When the Smashing Pumpkins first came out, I recall Billy Corgan had hair, and was scary to look at with hair, and as such, so distracting that I couldn't really pay much attention to the music. I know how ridiculous this is, but it's the truth. Sometime after Corgan shaved his head, and around the time "Mellon Collie and The Infinite Sadness" was released, I had this epiphany and just fell in love with this band.

I was psyched when I got the tickets because I had never seen them live and finally, my time would come. I suspect if the Pumpkins were a sole headliner, their set would be about 20-30 minutes longer but since they co-headlined, it was a bit more compact. To his credit, and since I never saw them before, I didn't know if this is his M.O. or to compensate for less stage time, but Corgan barely talked - it was all about the music, song after song, gem after gem, great after great.

Here's the set list:
  1. Cherub Rock 
  2. Bullet With Butterfly Wings 
  3. Tonight, Tonight 
  4. Ava Adore 
  5. Drum + Fife 
  6. One and All (We Are) 
  7. The Everlasting Gaze 
  8. Zero 
  9. The Crying Tree of Mercury 
  10. Mayonaise 
  11. Disarm 
  12. Landslide 
    (Fleetwood Mac cover)
  13. 1979 
  14. Run2Me 
  15. Thru the Eyes of Ruby 
  16. Stand Inside Your Love 
  17. United States 
  18. Encore:
  19. Today
More than finally getting to see them, I got to share the experience with my daughter - made it all the more better!

No comments: