Friday, July 17, 2015

U2: Just Remarkable!


I have seen U2 once before, back in 2009, at Gillette Stadium. I have been a fan of this band since day one, have every one of their albums and love the fact that since the day they were able to make a living in the limelight, they have used their fame to make the world a better place.

This was an important stop on the #summerofconcerts tour with my daughter, and as I write this not just right after the show, but having had a couple of days to sit with it, I can honestly say it was probably one of the five greatest live shows I have ever seen.

I'll share a very brief FB interaction I had when asked by a friend who is seeing them soon in NYC about how the show was:

Bono is as good a front man that ever played the game, he is masterful at sucking you in, reeling you, getting you exactly where he wants you to be and delivering an emotional journey through their powerful catalog of music that has never once wavered from who they are as a band yet never once sounded like it was meant to be heard any time other than in that moment - and it all remains that way whether it's a 30 year old song or a brand new one.

Here is the set list:

People Have the Power (Patti Smith song - they didn't play this song, it was on the sound system, with video as a prelude)

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
The Electric Co. (with "Send in the Clowns" and "I Can See for Miles" snippets)
Vertigo
I Will Follow
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road 
Song for Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday (with "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" snippet)
Raised by Wolves (with "Psalm 23" snippet)
Until the End of the World (with "Love and Peace or Else" snippet)
The Wanderer (this was a video intermission - featuring Johnny Cash vocal)
Invisible
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways (with "Burning Down the House" and "Young Americans" snippets)
Elevation
The Crystal Ballroom (with "Miss You" snippet)
All I Want Is You
Every Breaking Wave (acoustic)
With or Without You
City of Blinding Lights
Bullet the Blue Sky
Pride (In the Name of Love) (with "The Hands that Built America" segue)

Encore:
Beautiful Day (with "Ultraviolet (Light My Way)" and "I Remember You" snippets)
Where the Streets Have No Name (with "Mother and Child Reunion" intro and "California (There Is No End to Love)" snippet)
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (with "People Have the Power" snippet)

I have to say, you never really hear the name Adam Clayton when you hear talks of great musicians/bass players, let me tell you something, Adam Clayton is a phenomenal bass player!

Just a great show, great mix of songs, a couple of great never forget this night moments when he brought a few audience members on stage to participate.

If you have a chance to see them on this tour, 8 shows in NYC left before they head across the pond, go for it.

No comments: