Sunday, August 23, 2015

For Those About to Rock...

In the words of my 17 year old daughter as the show came to an end, "that is the definition of rock and roll!"

I am not sure I can find any better or more eloquent words to describe the show. It blows my mind how Brian Johnson doesn't bust a blood vessel or have an aneurysm singing the way he does for two hours a night but he was in fine form. A man of very few words, you could probably count his words of banter on your digits it was so sparse but the music certainly did the talking as they ripped through a setlist that covers a pretty good range of their work from classic to new.

Angus, in his trademark school boy outfit, at 60, still moves about the stage non-stop with his Gibson SG and plays it like nobody's business. At one point he even pulled off his neck tie and used it as a bow - if I did that it would sound like music was dying, he made it sound like rock and roll.

Chris Slade was on drums for this tour, I saw him play live when he was part of a band called "The Firm", which featured Jimmy Page and Paul Rodgers. The rhythm guitar spot vacated by Malcolm Young, was filled by his nephew, and filled in just fine - but it did take a little while to get used to someone different there,

The stage is clean, the words were few, but the music was in full force. There were some large scale props, like the giant bell that came out swinging for Hells Bells, the canons that went off during For Those About to Rock and according to the radio earlier that day, there was supposed to be a giant inflatable "Rosie" during  Whole Lotta Rosie - one review mentioned it but I didn't see it.

It was a great show and I am super glad that I got to experience it with my daughter,. Here is the set list - it's the same one they played on the European leg...hey, if it ain't broke...
  1. Intro
  2. Rock or Bust 
  3. Shoot to Thrill 
  4. Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be 
  5. Back in Black 
  6. Play Ball 
  7. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap 
  8. Thunderstruck 
  9. High Voltage 
  10. Rock 'n' Roll Train 
  11. Hells Bells 
  12. Baptism by Fire 
  13. You Shook Me All Night Long 
  14. Sin City 
  15. Shot Down in Flames 
  16. Have a Drink on Me 
  17. T.N.T. 
  18. Whole Lotta Rosie 
  19. Let There Be Rock 
    (With Angus Young guitar solo)
  20. Encore:
  21. Highway to Hell 
  22. For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) 
One thing that I ended up making a joke about was the slightly longer than usual pause in between songs. It wasn't really long, just longer and by enough that if you go to concerts, it's very noticeable. A few songs in I joked that Brian Johnson needed to down a gallon of honey for his throat, Soon after I said, "maybe he needs a moment to swallow another steel wool pad." later, I said, I was uncertain if he was doing the honey thing or the steel wool thing, both have merit. My genius daughter replies, "maybe it's both". Of course, He uses the steel wool pad as a sponge to sop up the honey then downs it...bingo!

Great show to mark the official end of the #summerofconcerts tour.

No comments: