Saturday, August 08, 2015

In My Ears 2015 Vol. 11

Here's what I've been pumping through my skull since last time:

I wrote about this either earlier this year or late last year. Visqueen, fronted by Rachel Flotard, is a really fantastic band.

They aren't currently recording, or together (I think). this album is amazing, especially "Beautiful Amnesia"











Returning to recording together as a band, this first project together since 2007 touches on their core but also is what you might expect to hear from them at this place in time.

This is a really good "listening" record.













Despite a bit of internal band personnel trouble, this record shines as a result of solid writing and solid production.

Tommy Lee guests on drums.












I really love the sound of Colin Meloy's voice.

This band was an NPR All Songs Considered find for me and ever since I found them, I've tried to follow them.

I've never seen them live but I really love to listen to them.










In the last installment, I wrote about the most recentWhitesnake record where Coverdale revisits the songs he recorded with Purple. I made a statement that rather than record that project they should have just remastered the original stuff.

There are some remasters out there!

I was right, this record is great!








I don't want this to sound like a negative review, because I enjoyed listening to these songs and hearing Stevie Nicks voice.

That said, I don't know that these songs really needed to be released from the vault, they aren't anything extraordinary, just standard Stevie music.










You'll find some influence form many, if not all, of the genres that draw from "roots" music without sounded dated.

The Lone Bellow has a sound all their own and strong writing, the kind of music that makes you hungry for more.











Love Queen, Love their music, but this compilation seems to be a complete waste of time.

I can't seem to put any rhyme or reason why these songs are assembled, it almost seemed as if a record company exec. said, "let's put a Queen compilation out so we can cash out on their name"...then instead of hiring a thoughtful producer, they basically hit shuffle on the catalog of the bizarre and went with that.

Again, great songs, great band, this record though, deleted from my iPod.


No comments: